Tuesday 12 June 2012

Ewings Celebration

Today has been a marvel as we celebrated the life and Passing of a true gentleman.
Ewing was a loving and caring man, he was quite shy in public and especially when dealing with women. During the day we all heard tales of his adventures and misadventures and he certainly lived a full life. By the time people had finished relating the things they knew about Ewing it left many of those who thought they knew him well simply shaking their heads. I like so many others shed tears in laughter and sadness, what a glorious life you lived Ewing.
 I have to say it was a most unusual “wake” celebration, certainly not the usual type of funeral wake I have ever been too, sadly I will likely measure others against this one which is never really fair.
The people obviously came with a determination to see Ewing off in style and they have done that. There was music and food galore, and the weather was absolutely perfect. I met many of his friends, far too many to remember them all but as you would expect no one had a cross word to say about Ewing.
Sadly we had our own little dilemma when my daughter Carla badly cut her leg trying to get over a barbed wire fence and we had to rush her to the doctors, she got 6 stitches and sadly that put an end to our day. I wanted Bear to stay on but he wouldn’t hear of it and came home with the girls and I. Fortunately by that stage the service was over and it was celebartion time for the adults and playtime for the kiddies.
I rang Jason just before sitting down as he was very concerned about Carla and he wrote to check she is ok, he says there are still about 30 people there and they are finishing of what was probably a massive dinner. He is exhausted but very happy that Ewing had such a nice day, he is going to spread some of Ewing’s ashes on the farm and keep the rest.
Tomorrow Jason and Bear will be going to the lawyer’s office once again to settle some issues raised by Ewing’s extended family, but Bear says there is nothing to stress about. He has spoken to them and it’s the usual expectations and perceptions as opposed to what really existed.
I met his Gran and she is a totally awesome woman, what a lovely bubbly lady and I certainly can see where  her granddaughters  personality has come from. Kelly clung to Jason and Gran all day. Kyle was very staunch all day but I had a quiet word with him and he says he is hurting so much and I asked him why wasn’t he crying, he told me Ewing wouldn’t want that. He is such a young man trying to be a mature man, I had a bit of a talk about it being ok for men to cry, I even pointed out that Bear was in tears as he gave an eulogy as were many other men present.
I hope when he gets time and space he will have a chance to let go. I have invited him to come and stay any weekend he wishes and he said he would love that, so probably next weekend the girls can entertain him, poor Kyle will never be so bored.

This weekend we are going back out to Jason’s place to talk over the new proposed nursery. Bear found some black strawberry plants that Ewing was raising in the glass house and he is keen to develop these as they are quite rare here in the south. He has also found some other plants he doesn’t recognise so we are  going to do some research
Well I best go, we are having a very light dinner tonight, poor Carla will be having a few days off school, tomorrow she is spending the day with Pop, Bear being busy here in town in the morning and then of to the lawyers office in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment