Saturday 9 June 2012

Sunday - Sad and fun.

A lot of people have called in to pass on their commiserations to Jason and his family, we have had people from all over Canterbury here today with more from the North Island and others down south.

Its been a day of tears, memories and laughter and I have heard so many fun tales about Ewing and his life, he was a remarkable man and a very dark horse. To have seen him lately you would not expect such a quiet gentleman to have been such a tearaway lad in his earlier years.
It has been good for Jason and his family because it has given them memories that they never had, and almost everyone has been in a jovial and uplifting mood, just as Ewing would have wanted.

Several people had tears and regrets, but that comes with the nature of celebrating a full life. Jason was sad he never heard from Bears Ex, he had hoped to have had at least a email from her but as I said to him she has moved on from all these people and we should respect that. Clearly he had considerable feelings there for her, odd because I have discovered a number of single males felt the same way; she must be a remarkable woman.
Bear has shown me for the first time a photo of her and the kids, I recall seeing her often in the summers when she walked along the river and often feed ducks almost opposite my old place.

Bear has been out in the glass house a good part of the day, typical that he gets away from the crowd and potters. Jason and Bear have come upon a proposal that Bear lease about 2 acres of land around the glass houses and shade house, then he could develop the area into a plant nursery. Jason is very keen on the idea as he has little or no experience on plants and growing them, Bear needs a job and this could fit both men perfectly.
The sad thing for me is I would see less of Bear unless the girls and I move out to Oxford, an idea Bear and I have toyed with, but all that at another time.

Paula picked up Speedi and Mal from the airport and brought them out, its obvious Speedi and Paula have hit it off. Its kind of odd in a way because Speedi has lived such a full and exiting life in the American Special forces and is such a go getter, whilst Paula is a fun but quiet person who rarely has left Christchurch.
Mal has nicked name me puddles, it took me an age to work out why until it was pointed out that when I met him for the first time last week I was standing in a puddle, obviously I was so entranced by the god like man I never noticed. So puddle it is, I guess it could have been worse.

The girls have been good, a lot of other children have been here today as well so they have entertained each other very well, not a cross word between them.
Bear and Mal brought down two more large tents, the weather for the next two days is not good, possible snow being forecast so we need lots of cover, with the tents we have it is estimated we could house 200 people and we may need more yet. I am yet to discover where or what the cache is and I am almost afraid to find out.
Jasons place is starting to look like a small town.

Mal and Speedi are going into Rangiora tomorrow to see if they can hire stuff for Wednesday, plates, cutlery etc, and Mal insists on getting a caterer to do the food. In a way I don't mind because I am exhausted after doing cooking, baking and helping out as the hostess when needed for the last 2 days.

Well Paula, the kids and I are leaving for Christchurch soon, Bear will stay on here with my car and will come in tomorrow. I have to say this has been one of the fullest and most enjoyable weekends I have experienced. I have met a great host of interesting people and have learned so much about the "quiet gentleman that lived down the lane". He was a gentleman but I dont think he was too quiet.

Well I will sign off now, need to find out where my exhausted rascals have landed.

Till tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment